Re: Follow up about X clipboard

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:16:49PM -0400, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:49:14AM -0700, Alan wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:40:47AM -0300, Mariano Su?rez-Alvarez wrote:
> > >
> > > This does not deal well with the case of our mythical film editing app
> > > which offers in 73 different formats the 724 minute long movie I've just
> > > copied into the clipboard...
> >
> > Dealing with all cases now is great, but how many users are really
> > copying around 800 megs of data in 80 different formats?  Most are like
> > me and get pissed off that I have to keep gedit open to paste text into
> > mozilla (or vice versa).
>
> 800 meg x 80 formats may be extreme but it is not terribly hard to
> imagine either.  Even with smaller chunks of only a few meg, the
> processing power necessary to generate several formats can be enough
> that you do not want it to occur every time the clipboard is used.

Agreed, but what are the use cases for this?  If 1% of the users of
gnome were to have this issue, is that worth still having NO decent
cut/paste (ie: after an app exists) in 2004 for the rest of the users?
I love linux, I love gnome, but it still shocks me that this problem
exists today....

But I'm not a developer and have never submitted a patch so I guess I
don't have any reason to bitch, right? :)

> The finger feel would be terrible if ctrl-C would take 5 seconds.
> There is the added penalty tha many of these formats will not be
> generally used and may not even be loaded unless explicitly
> requested.

Agreed.

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain