Re: Follow up about X clipboard

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:40:47AM -0300, Mariano Su?rez-Alvarez wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 07:26 +0200, Hongli Lai wrote:
> > Jerry Haltom wrote:
> > > 8. Why not implement some sort of Clipboard Daemon (clipd) which has the
> > > logic available to it, either through plug-ins or natively to transform
> > > the data from one type to another.
> >
> > No, I'm talking about a clipboard daemon that holds the data on
> > *application exit*. This hasn't been suggested by anyone.
> >
> > The daemon doesn't have any logic, you just send data to it when the app
> > exits, and it'll keep the data in memory, that's it. If you use shared
> > memory, no data is actually copied, thus no performance problems.
> > Basically it's functionally the same as keeping the app running, except
> > that the data is now stored by a daemon instead of the app itself, which
> > means you won't have to worry about buggy apps.
>
> This does not deal well with the case of our mythical film editing app
> which offers in 73 different formats the 724 minute long movie I've just
> copied into the clipboard...

Dealing with all cases now is great, but how many users are really
copying around 800 megs of data in 80 different formats?  Most are like
me and get pissed off that I have to keep gedit open to paste text into
mozilla (or vice versa).

Also, while no user interaction is good, even the "other" OSs inform the
user if they close an app with huge amounts of data on the clipboard and
that they need to take action to keep it available when they close the
app.

I like the idea of doing it right, but I think there's over engineering
a problem and the whole system (gnome, X, etc) suffering as a result.

My $0.02CND

alan
--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain