Re: State of the X clipboard, and perhaps a solution

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 21:54, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 15:46, Jan Morén wrote:
> > lör 2004-04-24 klockan 04.23 skrev Jeffrey Stedfast:

> > > I wouldn't have menus at all.
> >
> > * Thud *
> >
> > Umm, then what would you have? No menus - ok, so you would present the
> > standard actions of opening, printing, searching and so on how, exactly?
> > I just don't get your argument - especially within the context of the
> > clipboard. Are you advocating a return to using terminal-type interfaces
> > only? Or do you have a radical, great new paradigm to unleash upon us
> > (don't get me wrong, I'd love that!)?
>
> select region with left mouse button. switch to other app. middle mouse
> click.
>
> eg. do things the way the X clipboard was meant to work.

Quite apart from the difficult when there's no mouse, and the
non-discoverability, that's an incredibly limited amount of
functionality. People like being able to change the thing after they've
copied it. And people find the concept of passing by reference much more
complicated than passing by value.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com