Re: State of the X clipboard, and perhaps a solution

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 19:04, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 09:36 -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> > > You essentially suggested what I have been meaning to suggest for a
> > > long time, but never gotten around to write up.
> > >
> > > One downside is that the necessary application changesprobably can't
> > > be done automatically by changing GTK+. Just adding
> > > gtk_main_quit_after_losing_selection() and have applications call that
> > > instead of gtk_main_quit() might be enough, though.
> >
> > That's very very good to know. What my proposal does is not break
> > existing abilities. Copy/paste continues to work in current programs
> > just as it does right now, without gross workarounds. Adding after-quit
> > persistence is just an "add-on".
>
> it's a gross workaround for a problem that I don't even agree is a
> problem.

That's maybe because you are used to it. It's a problem for people
familiar with Windows and MacOS platforms.

And it's a problem for all users who have no concept of a "running"
application. Most people are not developers and there is no explanation
(in terms of their concepts) that justifies the clipboard not working
anymore just because the original window is no longer on the screen. To
them it seems perfectly normal to copy, close, paste.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com