Re: State of the X clipboard, and perhaps a solution

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 10:06, Dan Winship wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 17:29 -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:

> > And here we get to the answer, maybe. The only way to satisfy the above
> > requirements (that I can think of) is to keep the data and code
> > available in memory during the duration that it owns the clipboard
> > contents. This means long living processes of some sort.
>
> It also means that an application is not allowed to crash if it owns the

Applications should consider themselves not allowed to crash no matter
what.  Crashes should be exceptional circumstances, not daily
occurances.  ;-)

> clipboard, and in fact, that it must ignore SIGTERM/SIGINT/etc, since
> the naive user most likely doesn't understand that killing the
> application would result in the clipboard data going away.

The users who can't grasp the clipboard model are also not going to be
manually sending signals to processes.