Re: Network shortcuts

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 11:23:32AM +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 08:02, Rob Adams wrote:
> > In the gnome release notes there is an icon for an SSH connection on the
> > nautilus desktop.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how I might
> > create such a wondrous thing.
>
> In the File menu, choose "Connect to Server...".

For me when I use this method I can create a link on the desktop by
putting in a link name and then the location of "ssh://<server>" (where
I already have ssh keys on server, and can type "ssh <server>" from a
terminal and be logged in), but when I click on the link created on the
desktop I get:

The action associated with "ssh: <server>" is invalid
You can configure gnome to associate a different application blah blah
blah

However, I don't think that associating an app will help here.  Also, I
from the command line and it gives me a 'failed to log in message'

I think the original poster was referring to section 7.8.2 in the
nautilus help ('To Access Netowrk Places') where it says that under
places->computer, when you click the network icon/object, there will be
icons to connect to different network services.

   "To access UNIX shares, double-click on the UNIX Network (NFS)
   object.  A list of the UNIX shares available to you is displayed
   in the file manager window."

But this NFS icon isn't there.  In my Places->network I have the local
SMB servers, and a 'windows network' icon, but nothing else.

The documentation also alleges there is a 'Add Network Place' icon in
places->computer object, with more options than the 'connect to server'
menu option, but I don't have that either.

Is there a package that's needed for this functionality or something
like that?  One of the things I was most excited about for 2.6 was the
new and improved network handling for nautilus, but it's just not here!
:)

alan
--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain