Re: XML libs (was Re: gconf backend)

Murray Cumming wrote:
On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 09:07, Havoc Pennington wrote:

By inferior error messages I mean something like "attribute doesn't
match regexp 'big scary regexp'" is worse than "attribute must have
format #RRGGBB or gtk:fg[NORMAL]" (pick many other similar examples,
browse metacity/src/theme-parser.c).

Personally, I think these error messages would never be seen by sensible
users, so it's not a problem that's worth spending lots of time one.

Well, unless the messages get shown in a pop-up dialog the large majority of users will never know these existed in the first place. Would the majority care or know what to do about a broken metacity theme? I rather suspect the only reasonable dialog to display if there is any problem with parsing a theme is basicly:

	Failed to load theme. The theme file is corrupted.

It maikes little practical difference to the user whetever the file is binary goo or xml, and you can't really give more helpful error messages for either.