Re: Application menu.

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 14:30, Ian McKellar wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 03:13, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > In general I think its a good idea, though there are many new
> > design issues that come up, particularly in the context of not having a
> > global window bar and have the first menu item have fixed width so File
> > is still in a constant position (which I would guess OS/X does, though I
> > haven't actually looked).
>
> No, IIRC, they just let the File and other menus float around as you
> switch between differently named applications. I really don't see the
> need for an application menu, doesn't the HIG standardise the locations
> of everything thats usually put in an application menu anyway?

Yup, that's why the need isn't very pressing. Its just the location of
the things in the application menu aren't great or particularly
"logical". For example, Quit is under the "File" menu which is supposed
to be about dealing with documents. Preferences is under the "Edit"
menu, and while the phrase "Edit Preferences" is sensible, the menu is
really supposed to contain commands for doing edits on the current
document. About is under the "Help" menu, which is maybe arguable, but
doesn't make nearly as much sense as "AppName->About". etc. Its nothing
really important, its just a bunch of items that are a little
inconsistent with the purposes their current homes.

-Seth