Re: Nautilus 2.6 - We're going all spatial

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 23:10, Andrew Sobala wrote:

> eg: Moving a file from ~/a/b1/ to ~/a/b2
>
> Oo: Open home. Open b1. Click on home window to bring to front. Open b2.
> Click on home window to bring to front. Close home window. Drag file.
> Close b1. Close b2. TOTAL: 9 clicks.

To really take advantage of the spatial model, you can keep your work
folders on your desktop (or use links to whatever you are currently
working on, if those are deep in some CVS trees or whatever). This
avoids the one extra step of opening the "Home" folder every time you
need to access your files.

All this is irrelevant to you anyway if you just use the commandline to
actually work on the files. But if you really use nautilus for file
management, keeping stuff on the desktop can be a big benefit.

I often keep my current workstuff on the desktop, and once I am done
with something, I dump them into a folder, drag it inside the work CVS
tree, and then fire up a terminal and add and commit the files.

Sure, it makes your desktop messy, but heck, so is my real desk too.. it
works though. The desktop is a workplace for me, not just a pretty
wallpaper.

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen :: Art Director, Ximian :: <tigert ximian com>