Re: Temujin

В ?? 15.09.2003, в 03:38, Sergey V. Oudaltsov пишет:
> Marcin
>
> In general, I agree with you (and Richard) - GNOME and free software
> should really be carefull about images and stereotypes. I just wanted to
> point out that the image of the Temujin today, in 2003, is not nearly AS
> bad a the image of Hitler, Stalin, etc (though any of these images are
> about force, violence, great empires,...). It is not so bad - just
> because of the time difference.
>
> > Well, I personally think that about WWII we should not forget - but you
> > are right a lot of people will.
> I think that it is good that people can forget. Just imagine French
> people remembering all the horrors of the Hundred Years' war (and really
> HATING UK for it with all their hearts). I lived in the Soviet Union
> where the word "German" was synonim to "enemy" (I remember it from our
> child games) - luckily this changed years ago. If humankind would "save"
> all these bad memories - it would be very unpleasant world to live in.

Sergey, the key word here is 'to forgive' but not 'to forget'. We should
forgive nationalities, but never forget bloody politicals. I don't
understand your ond other people arguments about hatred between Russian
and German, Chech and Austrian and so on. I have no hatred to German,
French, Sweden, Mongol (with all these nationalities Russia had wars).
But I have no reason to love all these nationality leaders with blood on
their hands.

> > Well Temujin died in 1227 :).
> I know. That is why it was so strange to hear someone with personal
> discomfort about that name.

Because he was maniac, sadist and so on. Yes, all history is not very
human, but some persons are symbols of violence even in their time.

Regards,
Dmitry