Re: SVG format in metacity, gtk, desklets and build system for Gnome

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 13:52, Marcin Antczak wrote:
> As I said, I'm not C/C++ programmer so I don't care about problems you
> write about, but I'm sure that everything can be done.
>
> Question is how much time it could cost to write and if there will be
> anyone interested to take this job.
Are you offering to pay someone? ;-)

> Maybe first I'll take a closer look to GTK theme engine attached to
> librsvg... If we can draw GTK widgets with GTK there must be ability to
> do the same thing with window decoration... maybe not with "full" svg
> support but I think that we should try. (Right now I have theme-parser.c
> in another window and I'll try to investigate how it could be converted
> to support some svg standards).
All GTK theme engines do is render the SVG to a pixmap at which point it
works exactly the same as the pixmap theme engine.  In fact themes arn't
described as SVG at all.  SVG is simply another graphics format that the
Gnome themes can read and display.  Trying to describe a theme as pure
SVG would be harder than describing Metacity titlebars as pure SVG.

I do agree with you that SVG is important.  It will most likely become
the default graphics format for themes in the future because of its
advantage for resolution independent displays(cranking up you monitor to
1600x1200 won't shrink your icons or fonts).  Be patient, file a
bugzilla feature request, and/or learn C/C++.  Developers are listening
and the wheels are rolling but these things take time and there are a
hundred more important things that need to get done.

--
J5