Re: GtkFileChooser API work
- From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- To: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>
- Cc: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com>, gtk dev list <gtk-devel-list gnome org>, "desktop-devel-list gnome org" <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: GtkFileChooser API work
- Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:26:37 -0400
On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 15:04, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 19:54, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:49:08PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > > Plain GTK+ apps would be using the GtkFileSystemUnix implementation.
> > > Right now it only returns "/" in list_roots, but I guess we could steal
> > > some code from (say) the Midnight Commander to read the information from
> > > mtab et al. MC is GPL, though...
> > Not plain GTK apps but plain GTK desktops I would think (how I was
> > hoping it would work is that we have the gnome-vfs backend in a
> > loadable module that all GTK apps pick up).
> How can that work? The non-gnome-vfs using apps wouldn't be able to
> handle the gnome-vfs uri they get from the fileselector.
* @chooser: a #GtkFileChooser
* @local_only: %TRUE if only local files can be selected
* Sets whether only local files can be selected in the
* file selector. If @local_only is %TRUE (the default),
* then the selected file are files are guaranteed to be
* accessible through the operating systems native file
* file system and therefore the application only
* needs to worry about the filename functions in
* #GtkFileChooser, like gtk_file_chooser_get_filename(),
* rather than the URI functions like
Even apps that link to GnomeVFS may need this... it's not clear to
me that apps that apps that want to use GnomeVFS for one
thing will suddenly handle *all* file operations through GnomeVFS.
Another problem is linking to -pthread; on some systems, it won't
work to take a module that links to GnomeVFS and uses threads and
link it into a non-threaded program.
The only real fix I can of for that is to have GTK+ pull in -pthread
on such systems.
Linking the main app to -pthread may also be needed if we fix
accessibility not to require gnome_program_init().
] [Thread Prev