Re: Translation of program names

Дана петак, 31. октобар 2003. 13:03:46 CET, Murray Cumming Comneon com написа:

Translating proper names, or parts of proper names, is insanity.

I just don't want to see
  Erscheinung Browser

Murray, I understand that, but I think you're biased because you *can* read Latin script, and you can read "Epiphany". If that name was "Спознаја", I think you wouldn't mind it being translated to "Epiphany", or at least transliterated to "Spoznaja". I don't really know why did American papers and officials write about 'KGB' (khey-jee- bee) at one time, when there's no such thing -- there was "КГБ" (and it's read entirely differently).

And mechanism that provides a translator with a chance to do that is same as for translation: it must be marked with gettext (that's why I said "translated" in quotes, not simply translated).

So yeah, it's insane when it's used in other languages, yet it is perfectly sane when it's used in English. Lets not abuse the policy of using English while developing Gnome for other causes, or trying to inforce use of English in translations too.

Somebody even suggested translating the "GNOME" when it appears in
application names, as if it meant "small dwarf-like creature".
Completely nuts and completely useless.

Yeah, probably right. We don't want users to forget that GNOME is GNU Network Object Model Environment. Hey, it even says that on the start page at http://gnome.org/.

Whoops, it actually doesn't. :-P Wait, it's not described on http://gnome.org/about/ either. Maybe it isn't important for users to know what GNOME stands for after all?

Since it was me who said that "translating" that was sane, it's because it is translated to Serbian like "Gnom" (came from French I believe, just without "e"), so it's easily recognized. This is transliteration from French, and not from English (it would be "Gnoum" if it was simply transliterated from English). Yeah, and it goes well with the logo of Gnome project (anyone seen that little footstep?). :-)

And advantages of this "translation" are numerous. I've already mentioned them in the previous mail, so I won't repeat them.

Cheers,
Danilo