Re: Gnome desktop files doesn't follow the freedesktop standards

<quote who="Colin Walters">

> I think it makes the most sense to *only* use GenericName by default, and
> upon collisions (e.g. two Web Browsers), then do something like this:
>
> GenericName (Name)

AOL. There are three ways to go about it, on first inspection. Assuming that
if we only had Epiphany installed, it would appear as Web Browser, we could
choose from the following if Galeon were installed alongside it:

1) Web Browser (Epiphany)
   Web Browser (Galeon)

2) Epiphany Web Browser
   Galeon Web Browser

3) Epiphany
   Galeon

1 is kinda ugly. 2 may have i18n issues (mostly because it's just string
concatenation, without any consideration of i18n). 3 might seem like we're
throwing away the GenericName goal to some people, but... If you have two
browsers installed, and we can assume that the user chose to do that (any
sane distro or admin provided system would only have one), we could also
assume that they know their names. It also avoids i18n issues.

- Jeff

                    The Unix Way: Everything is a file.
                 The Linux Way: Everything is a filesystem.