Re: Information sought from Debian Sid users

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 22:33, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Malcolm Tredinnick <malcolm commsecure com au> writes:
>
> > Dear bleeding edge friends,
>
> Hello,
>

> > I am trying to track down a problem that was reported on
> > gnome-accessibility-list recently and I need input from people who are
> > using very recent Debian Sid installations.
>
> Thank you, we have this problem for a lot of Gnome's package with Gnome2.4.
>

> > The best I have is that somebody who grabbed all the latest Sid upgrades
> > last Friday is seeing this problem, so I'm looking for people who
> > upgraded either just before or around that time.
>
> My Debian unstable is upgraded every day.
>

> > (1) Was libtool upgraded? If so, what version is now being run?
>
> $ libtool --version
> ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.0a (1.1220.2.33 2003/09/29 11:43:50) Debian:
> 103 $
>
> To see the last changes in the package :
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/libt/libtool/news/3.html

Ah, thanks for the pointer. A bit of poking around with that URL and
chopping bits off and I can see all the recent changes and download the
Debian-specific patch to standard libtool-1.5.

This problem looks a little annoying to fix, but not insurmountable. The
Debian patch changes the behaviour of libtool in a not entirely
backwards-compatible fashion within the 1.5 versions and for purely
pragmatic and professional reasons we need to be able to work with the
Debian version and with the proper version (I could just imagine the
criticism that would happen if a commerical vendor made such a change).
Eventually these changes will make it in upstream (since the Debian
maintainer is about to get commit privileges to the libtool repository
upstream), but that is still going to take a while to permeate out to
the masses.

I'll work on fixing this a bit more when I get some time.

Cheers,
Malcolm