Re: Information sought from Debian Sid users

Malcolm Tredinnick <malcolm commsecure com au> writes:

> Dear bleeding edge friends,

Hello,

> I am trying to track down a problem that was reported on
> gnome-accessibility-list recently and I need input from people who are
> using very recent Debian Sid installations.

Thank you, we have this problem for a lot of Gnome's package with Gnome2.4.

> The best I have is that somebody who grabbed all the latest Sid upgrades
> last Friday is seeing this problem, so I'm looking for people who
> upgraded either just before or around that time.

My Debian unstable is upgraded every day.

> (1) Was libtool upgraded? If so, what version is now being run?

$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.0a (1.1220.2.33 2003/09/29 11:43:50) Debian:
103 $

To see the last changes in the package :
http://packages.qa.debian.org/libt/libtool/news/3.html

> (2) Are there suddenly compilation problems for any modules that use the
> standard gnome-common autogen.sh script with respect to the ltmain.sh
> script? Try to build something like libgnome from a very clean CVS copy
> (start with no non-CVS files before running autogen.sh). Does it work
> when it comes to linking libraries (if you see the same problem I am
> chasing down, you will know. We are not talking about a subtle breakage
> here)?

So tu summarize. I've builded a part of Gnome2.4 packages for
Debian. Some modules seems to have been broken and after that most of apps
doesn't build anymore (most of them built fine on my i386 but failed
after that on autobuilders, gnome-utils fail on my box).

After building gnome-vfs2 packages contain a libgnomevfs-2.la with a
"-pthread" reference. I'm a libtool/auto* beginner, but according to
some other people, the builds are broken because of that option. So we
have rebuilt the package with a ugly hack (a removal of the option in
the .la with perl after the build). I'm not happy with that, but it
seems to solve the problem for the moment. We had to rebuild some libs
on the new gnome-vfs2 after that (libgnome, libgnomeui, libbonoboui,
metacity, eel2, nautilus ..).

I don't know why is this '-pthread' here (was not in gnome-vfs2 2.2), or
what's the problem. But this reference is in several .la file after
running autogen/gnome-autogen and rebuilding (gnome-vfs2, eel2, nautilus
... but probably some others modules too).

> I know that gnopernicus is having problems. What I am trying to work out
> is whether this is a generic problem that affects everybody with some
> upgraded libtool version or if it is something special with
> gnopernicus

It's a general problems, the problem on some libs (ie: libgnomevfs-2)
broke the build of all the apps depending on it ...

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher