Re: [Re: Module proposal for gnome 2.5]

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> It's up to maintainers to propose modules for 2.5, and it's a bit early in
> the release schedule to start this process. A couple of months in, we'll
> have a much better understanding of the tasks involved, and which new
> modules will be appropriate.
>
> There are already sub-threads starting about Gaim and such - please, let's
> leave this for later on in the process, and concentrate on hacking now. :-)

I don't see any harm in talking about it earlier. Starting to talk about it 2
months from now leaves only 1 month until the module freeze and feature
freeze.

Maybe it's enough if I point out that new modules will be included based on
their features at the time, because of the schedule. There will be very little
chance to add features or correct major bugs after you get the "Yes, you're
in" decision, even if the changes are added in response to the new-modules
discussions. So, if you think your module should be in GNOME 2.6, try to get
it GNOME-ready before you even propose it.

If talking about it earlier gets people in-sync with the schedule earlier,
then I think that's a good thing. But obviously we should still have the
official proposed-new-modules list at some point and an official discussion
period.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com