Re: libegg revisited

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 18:38, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 17:56, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > > Yeah.  This is a serious problem.  The biggest offenders here are
> > > probably the EggStatusIcon and the recently-used files stuff.
> >
> > Tray icon is supposed to end up in GTK+. However, the implementation is
> > broken, the API is probably broken, the spec is broken, and the UI is
> > undefined.
>
> Then we shouldn't use it.

Well, there's clearly demand for the functionality, I think two things
specifically:

 - applets added dynamically by apps and/or more featureful
   (blinkable?) window list buttons
 - ability to do this without being GNOME/KDE specific

perhaps also:

 - something for WINE to use if the windows app uses the
   windows tray APIs
 - a way to post genuine status/notification kinds of
   messages: new hardware added, updates available, etc.

So we see lots of people using the tray even though it blows.

I'd like to see someone address the areas in better ways, rather than
simply deleting the tray. Though perhaps deleting the tray for a while
is the only way we'll get them addressed.

Havoc