Re: HEAD not building

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 22:19, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The GNOME 2.5 branch has piles of build problems; most seem to be caused
> by GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED while using stuff deprecated in GTK+ 2.4.

It would be cool if there were some way to define what version of the
API you want deprecation warnings against, for modules that need to be
able to build against multiple versions of gtk/gnome/whatever. Eg,
evolution 1.4 has always had the warning:

        e-shell.c: In function `e_shell_construct':
        e-shell.c:1306: warning: implicit declaration of function
        `bonobo_activation_active_server_register'

because bonobo_activation_active_server_register was deprecated in
libbonobo 2.2. But we can't fix it because evolution needs to compile on
GNOME 2.0 machines too. What we really want is something like
"FOO_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_IN_2_0", etc

On a related note, it would be great if there was some easy way to turn
on deprecation warnings for every library in the platform. (Evolution
sets G_, GTK_, BONOBO_, and GNOME_DISABLE_DEPRECATED, but misses GDK_,
BONOBO_UI_, GCONF_, and LIBGLADE_DISABLE_DEPRECATED). Maybe a
GNOME_PLATFORM_2_4_DISABLE_DEPRECATED define that all libraries would
obey?

-- Dan