Re: No Flags "Policy"

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:09:38PM +0100, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:

> Talking about the no flags policy with a Debian developer he has said me
> that we can follow the iso3166 table about "official" character country
> code. It contains countries and some regions, like Gibraltar, but we can
> clean our hands and use this ISO as a guide to include flags in GNOME.

I can imagine Debian adding yet another repository.  In addition to
the current "free" and "non-free" repositories, there seems to be a
need for an "offensive" repository.  This can be used to hold anything
that anyone has ever objected to, and would include a set of flags of
the world (which Red Hat has dropped for the reasons given in this thread),
the politically incorrect (but funny) fortunes file (which Red Hat has
dropped because Zippy the Pinhead has been known to use naughty
language), and of course the Gnome "foot" icon, which could offend the
sensibilities of our Muslim users.

While I recognize that there seems to be a political need to keep this
type of material out of the mainline distribution, I do think that
it's worth keeping around for those of us who are less easily
offended, and who I imagine make up the vast majority of our users.

-- John Kodis.