Re: Sound events and GnomeMeeting

Hey folks:

Rodney's right ;-)

We need more than one 'ding', and those 'dings' need to be
system-configurable.  Gstreamer is OK but it doesn't have the kind of
system-level hooks that would allow us to attach visual feedback or
messages to those sound feedbacks - in other words we need "sounds for
events" as opposed to just sounds.  Encouraging apps to use gstreamer
for this on an app-specific basis (though of course a few apps will need
to do this) will just compound our accessibility problems.

We need to move forward with a better API and infrastructure for system
notifications (perhaps integrating notification-area, sound-events, and
some kind of desktop messaging protocol), not backwards by ripping out
the little bit we have.

regards,

- Bill