Re: Sound events and GnomeMeeting

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 12:59, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Hey folks:
>
> Rodney's right ;-)
>
> We need more than one 'ding', and those 'dings' need to be
> system-configurable.  Gstreamer is OK but it doesn't have the kind of
> system-level hooks that would allow us to attach visual feedback or
> messages to those sound feedbacks - in other words we need "sounds for
> events" as opposed to just sounds.

I think a small wrapper aroun gstreamer could be made that would support
those system level hooks.

in pseudocode

void gnome_play_sound (const char *event_name)
{
char *sample_name, *event_desc;

sample_name = get_sample_from_event (event_name);
event_desc = gst_description_from_event (event_name);

play_sample_on_gstreamer_pipeline (sample_name);
emit_system_level_hooks (event_name, event_desc);
}

or something like that.

The GStreamer pipeline would be incredibly simple
filesrc ! decoder ! audiosink
and could be kept around while nothing is happening so that it doesn't
need to be rebuilt.

Whether the GStreamer guys want to be this low in the gnome dependancy
chain yet is another/different matter.

iain
--
"Miss Celine Dion sings lovesongs while our cities burn"