Re: Sound events and GnomeMeeting

Le jeu 13/11/2003 à 17:54, Sean Middleditch a écrit :
> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 11:50, Rob Adams wrote:
> > Really esd (and arts) needs to go the way of the dodo.  ALSA is the
> > future.
> Except that ALSA is Linux only, local host only, etc.  ALSA only solves
> one problem that esd/arts try to solve (multiple apps using the same
> sound device), and doesn't help at all with the other problems
> (portability, network transparency).

ALSA is a set of libraries and drivers for the linux kernel. Don't
confuse it with a sound daemon. There are ALSA-based sound daemons like
Jack for example, but that is different. I don't see how a Linux driver
could be portable ;)

ALSA is the future in terms of audio drivers, but we still need to
choose for our future in terms of sound daemons.

 _      Damien Sandras
//\     It-Optics s.a.
v_/_    GnomeMeeting:
        FOSDEM 2004: