Re: Clipboard daemon

On Friday 07 of November 2003 14:28, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > From: Jody Goldberg [mailto:jody gnome org]

> > > When I asked Klipper maintainer, he pointed out this freedesktop.org
> > > specification:
> > > http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/clipboards-extension-spec
> > > which he is happy to implement instead.
>
> By the way, here is some discussion of that specification:
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2002-November/msg00039.html
>
> > > Does this seem to be a suitable solution?
> > >
> > > It pleases me that a KDE hacker had to point out a freedesktop.org
> > > specification to GNOME hackers.
> >
> > The Klipper fellow has mentioned that proposal before.  Sadly
> > it is mostly useless unless the application pretends.  The
> > mechanism it proposes requires the app to approximate how
> > much content will be produced.  Doing even an approximate
> > measurement will require the loading of all of the supported
> > clipboard exporters, which is part of what I want to avoid.
> >
> > It's only use, as far as I can tell, is to lie and set the
> > max to 0 as a proxy for 'OPT_OUT_OF_CLIPBOARD_MANAGEMENT'.
> > Using an ultra coarse approximation
> >     eg number_of_cells x 1k + sum(embedded_images)
> > is going to produce wild overstatements for most formats

 So? It's still much better to get it wrong by magnitude than making Klipper
ignore it _always_ , including plain selections in lineedits and similar.
Maybe it's not obvious from the wording of the spec, but wildly inaccurate
guesses are still ok.

 If you have any better idea, I'd like to hear it; we can ignore that proposal
linked above, it's just a proposal after all, without any real implementation
yet (AFAIK). However, as far as I can say, it'll be usually better than your
solution, and it's guaranteed to be never worse.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer