Re: AM_MAINTAINER_MODE_DEFINES

On 01/11/03 05:07, Christopher James Lahey wrote:

I added AM_MAINTAINER_MODE_DEFINES to gnome-common.m4.

This macro checks maintainer mode, and if it's on defines two make
variables:

DISABLE_DEPRECATED="-DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED ..."
ENABLE_WERROR="-Werror"

If maintainer mode is off, it sets both variables to ""

The idea is that we shouldn't ship packages with DISABLE_DEPRECATED in
them.  If we do, then our packages may break when new versions of things
come out.  However, DISABLE_DEPRECATED should be on for developers when
working from cvs.  This is also true in many cases for -Werror
(depending on the project.)
Given that the list of deprecation macros each package will want to compile with is likely to be different, is there really much value in having this as a shared macro?

I can implemement something like this with no additional macro in a Makefile.am like so:
   if MAINTAINER_MODE
   INCLUDES += -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED ...
   endif

This will add to the cflags when maintainer mode is turned on. I can add -Werror in a similar fashion.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/