Re: AM_MAINTAINER_MODE_DEFINES

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 11:33, James Henstridge wrote:
> Given that the list of deprecation macros each package will want to
> compile with is likely to be different, is there really much value in
> having this as a shared macro?
> ... instructions for doing it without a macro

The thing is that this hasn't happened.  I'm building all sorts of
packages, and since right now the latest libgnome's headers include
things that are deprecated in gtk+, I'm seeing all the gnome apps that
break this and I'm hitting a lot of them.

I agree that it's likely that different packages will be using different
sets of libraries and thus needing different sets of deprecation
macros.  However, since it's okay to have extra ones if you don't
compile with a given library, I figured we'd just include them all.

I really want it to be as easy as possible for people to
DISABLE_DEPRECATED when in maintainer mode only, and while yours is
easy, having a macro makes it even easier.  I'd rather be able to just
tell someone "Use this macro" then to tell them to cut and paste the
disable deprecated section from someone elses package.  Also, this macro
makes it a single line in each package's configure.in and a single line
in each Makefile.am instead of 3 or 4 lines in each Makefile.am.

All in all, I don't feel super strongly about the method used to fix the
problem of tarballs with disable deprecated macros on, as long as
someone fixes it.  This was my attempt.

Thanks,
   Chris