Importance of the Desktop release [Was: epi/galeon discussion]

<quote who="iain">

> Look at the flamewar that was started over gnomemeeting because the author
> felt he was being slighted when gnomemeeting wasn't allowed into the
> desktop, even though it had served its time well in the "training camp".

a) it wasn't a flamewar
b) it was not about "having spent time in 5th toe and should now enter
desktop", it was about gnomemeeting was an appropriate piece of software for
the desktop release at all

> I want rid of "the desktop package" as a huge and arbitrary collection of
> programs deemed suitable.

It is not arbitrary. If it were, why would we go through this detailed and
time consuming process to choose the appropriate modules? We are trying to
collate a selection of software that is appropriate to the greatest common
factor of GNOME Desktop Environment users. If you read GEP 10 and my
overview of what I perceive the important points of desktop module selection
to be, you'll see that we're not determining modules on an arbitrary basis
at all.

You are absolutely free to ignore the importance desktop release. However, I
believe it is a fundamentally important process and display of commitment to
our users and distributors, and will ensure a focused and polished "product"
rather than a "thrown-together aggregation of stuff".

- Jeff

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

    "I'm just mucking round down the shallow end of the literary pool, I
                          suppose." - Mick Molloy