RE: Privatizing 'linc' ...

Hi Glynn,

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 11:34, Glynn Foster wrote:
> > It makes sense to me. I think it would have minimal impact.
>
> It makes sense to me from a desktop point of view, but haven't we
> already made a guarantee of API/ABI compatibility since it's a platform
> library? Obviously I have no idea of the types of people using it, but
> I'm not sure if it right to just pull it back into ORBit2 until we get
> to some kind of major release.

	Well - that's the rub - in theory it's a public library and people can
poke at the internals; having said that - beyond a few pokes I have used
in misc. bonoboy libraries - it seems no-one is using it.

	So - if it's sufficient to just do a 'swallowing gep' ;-) or something,
saying we've removed it from the platform - then that's easy enough.
Otherwise - it's possible to rename the symbols as we move them into
ORBit2 - such that people who explicitely linked vs. 'linc' will still
get that library [ if in fact anyone used it stand-alone ].

> 		Or am I completely off the ball?

	Well - it depends on quite how anal we're going to be - hence the
discussion. The choice is leaving a slab of unmaintained cruft in the
platform for some (marginal) compatibility benefit [ perhaps for a
single release iteration ], and/or just folding it into ORBit2;

	I'm happy either way really - just soliciting feedback.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot