Re: 2.4 New Accessibility Features

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 15:41, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Bill Haneman">
>
> > It's been brought to our attention that some of these features, even
> > though they are intended for existing CVS modules, might need to be called
> > out in their own right in GEP-11.  Since we took the "new modules" list
> > rather literally, despite having previously mentioned these features
> > on-list we didn't worry about the fact that they didn't turn up in GEP-11.
>
> The new features don't have to be dealt with through the GEP 'proposed
> modules' process,

OK, Glynn was suggesting otherwise.

 but they do need to be accepted by the maintainer of the
> module, checked in and released by the feature freeze date, *preferably*
> before (so they can get adequate testing -> we've had bad experiences with
> new features getting in right on the deadline).

Sure: but it's explicit in GEP-11 that if a new feature is too broken,
it gets pulled.  Approval in gep-11 isn't a guarantee of inclusion, as I
read it.  So I don't see this as a big risk, though of course we're
trying to get these in with sufficient time for folks to comment and
re-jig a little if necessary.

>   Example: gnome-panel's new feature is a near complete rewrite. That's
>   checked in and very well tested long before the feature freeze date, so
>   there's no problem.
>
> If we get beyond the feature freeze date and you say, "I want to check in
> this new engine theme", we would say "No thanks, that will have to wait
> until GNOME 2.6".

Sure; that's why we're doing this now instead of in three weeks ;-)

- Bill