Re: gnome-vnc

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 00:29, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 12:25:40AM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > > See:
> > > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-December/msg00221.html
> > >
> > > also "tsclient"
> > >
> > > I think the right module is a "desktop remoting" module that
> > > incorporates all this functionality, including both client and server,
> > > into a nice UI designed for the specific use-cases.
> > >
> > we've got the plan to include such a tool in gnome-network, so please,
> > include it there.
> >

> Fine with me. It should not be a single tool though, I don't think.  I
> would say it needs to be a fully-thought-out UI for the whole task,
> which will probably include client side, server side, some gdm
> changes, etc. - if we think of it as a "vnc viewer" we'll end up with
> something you can only figure out if you read a bunch of docs, rather
> than something that just works. Need to think of it as a holistic
> "desktop remoting" feature.

yes, that's exactly my idea. For the client side, we already have a
(poor) gnome-remote-desktop in gnome-network, which of course should be
deprecated. My ideas (to be discussed in GUADEC's BOF) are to integrate
the client side in the network: virtual folder, since they are remote
connections, as FTP, HTTP, etc.

For the server side, a 'Desktop sharing' in Desktop preferences, that
starts the VNC server along with an icon on the notification area is
what we've come up so far.

If you've got ideas about this, it would be great if you attend the
gnome-network BOF at GUADEC. If you can't attend, please send any ideas
so that we take them into account in the BOF.

cheers