RE: Major change in desktop handling

> From: Mattias Eriksson [mailto:snaggen acc umu se]
> > Nothing is that easy. But I think what you'll never avoid
> is some people
> > using $HOME as an install prefix. So you'll never avoid
> > $HOME/bin, $HOME/lib, $HOME/include, and so on.
> >
> > I wish we could just use $HOME as the desktop, but reality
> prevents it. Time
> > to move on.
>
> This will only occure when you do ./configure --prefix=$HOME solution:
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/<name of suitable folder>

How do you plan to force people to do this? How do you plan to force
sysadmins and distros to change the environment variables in their default
profiles so that this works?

> Most of these problems with $HOME are not impossible to solve or work
> around. Just saying move on, is like dismissing the invention
> of the car
> because the roads are to narrow.

1. The road system still hasn't coped with the existence of cars.
2. In Britain, Isambard Kingdom Brunel insisted on wider train tracks
because it was better. He failed spectacularly because it didn't work with
anything else.

I invent, and invoke the rule that says "Mentioning IKB automatically
concludes a thread", because I feel like it.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com