Re: Desktops: a post-2.4 suggestion.
- From: Noah Levitt <nlevitt columbia edu>
- To: Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>
- Cc: Callum McKenzie <callum physics otago ac nz>, desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Desktops: a post-2.4 suggestion.
- Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 10:55:44 -0400
On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 11:25:25 +0100, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> You introduce 2 problems.
> 1. Direct manipulation won't work - dragging a desktop file will move a
> link, not the file it appears to be. Special casing this for links on
> the desktop vs. links everywhere else is inconsistent.
> 2. The user thinks he's storing lots of files in his desktop, and will
> probably get confused when he looks in $HOME. He thought he saved those
> file to the desktop! Since they are on the desktop as well, he can
> safely delete these extra copies, can't he. Can't he?
> (Basically, lying to a user about what's happening is likely to confuse
> him in the long run.)
So use hard links. ;-) I'm just kidding. I have no opinion
] [Thread Prev