Re: Major change in desktop handling

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 06:22, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 21:00, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > Actually, as a until-very-recently proponent of $HOME as desktop, I
> > think ~/Desktop is probably better; the reasoning being so many stupid
> > _argh!_ programs make folders in $HOME
>
> This is a bug with those programs. That directory should be defined
> someplace else. In the case of evolution, that's predicted to be there
> for the second generation of the gnome2 version. The first one is only a
> move to (gtk/gnome)2

And where else would those be?  $HOME is the only place you can put
files.  And don't tell me they need to be hidden, they are made visible
to begin with for a reason.

And that still doesn't solve the system directories.  On this system, I
have ~/public_html.  On one system here, we have ~/tmp (no
world-writable /tmp is acceptable).  And so on.

> > Unless Nautilus gets a way to hide items (like the menues) but then also
> > a good way to unhide items (unlike the menues), $HOME is probably always
> > going to be a bad choice so long as there are companies/vendors that
> > think a shell script is a good way to install software.  (/me is bitter)
>
> There is a way to do that already, but you have to do it "by hand".
>
> Example case: ~/evolution.
>
> Edit ~/.nautilus/metafiles/file:%2F%2F%2Fhome%2FYOURUSER.xml
> Search for:
>    <file name="evolution" icon_position="1014,758"/>
>
> Notice the parameter icon_position="..."; since I have 1024x768 I just
> placed this icon far from sight.

Right.  And normal users are supposed to do this to get around the $HOME
as desktop problem?