Re: GEP 10, again [was RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting]

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 23:29, Damien Sandras wrote:

> > Damien: how do you feel about the integration part of this? I know
> > you've suggested some ways (you register a mime handler now, right?)
>
> Currently I'm registering a callto url-handler that can be used by other
> applications. For example, Epiphany is already able to use it, if
> somebody embeds his callto URL into a webpage, clicking on it will start
> GnomeMeeting (or communicate it the new URL if it is already running)
> and call that person.
>
> > that this would be improved, but I'm curious if you have other
> > examples/ideas where this could benefit us.
> >

> I've already thought about this and I'm open to all propositions and to
> discussion about that topic. Currently, I think the best integration
> level can be achieved with URLs (Microsoft Callto URLs, H.323 URLs, and
> later SIP URLs).
>
> I don't plan to provide with GnomeMeeting a library or a coding
> framework to create new applications, but I think that it is very
> important for GnomeMeeting to be usable by other applications. That
> could mean a BONOBO component (even though I'm not sure it is really the
> way to go) or the current URL scheme that could be integrated in more
> applications.
>
> Imagine for example syncing between the GnomeMeeting addressbook, and
> the Evolution calendar : you could schedule a meeting with somebody, and
> Evolution could propose to the user to try to contact the remote user,
> either calling his computer, or calling his phone number if you are
> using a provider for PC-To-Phone calls (Phone-To-PC calls could also be
> possible).

in this scenario, I guess a sort of interface should be in place, so
that evolution can tell gnomemeeting to open a conference with 'n'
people, setup conference options, etc. And this comes up to the
'standard GNOME IDL interfaces' thing, which I think we should start
considering more seriously.

For a good integration, we want apps to talk to each other, and having
'just' a URL to start up the app might not be enough in a lot of cases.

And, of course, for that (custom interfaces), the best thing is
corba/bonobo, which was created right for the task of making apps
communicate with each other.

cheers