Re: [gedit-list] Re: My (ongoing) analysis of the proposed modules

Op za 10-05-2003, om 10:50 schreef Paolo Maggi:

> > If we can find a way to hide the more complex stuff by default (even
> > if gedit-plugins is installed) then that's a plus. Something like
> > Emacs's modes seems like a possible way.
> >

> I discussed this with snorp some time ago. We think it should be
> possible to add a command line parameter to disable syntax highlighting
> and all the plugins.
> In this way we could have a gnome-text-editor script that calls gedit
> with the --I-want-a-simple-text-editor parameter.

IMHO nothing should be 'hidden', just a simple plugins package is
perfect. There's no need to merge the current plugins into gedit, since
they are exactly that: plugins, extra stuff which isn't needed but which
can be useful to some people. gedit is a 'lightweight Gnome editor' or
something like that, so let's keep it lightweight by having a
gedit-plugins package. There's no need to have a 'gedit-extraplugins' or
whatever neither. Just put all plugins in one package, and leave the
current possibility to enable or disable some plugins. Plugins are a
Good Thing - they shouldn't be removed.
Making a gedit-plugins & gedit-extraplugins is useless IMHO, since all
plugins are optional anyway, whether some are more optional (or
specialized as someone put it) or not is not relevant.

Let's just keep it like it's now.

Ludootje
--

 The Grasshoppers' Linux Journal - a free, online distributed magazine about GNU/Linux / Open Source / ... oriented towards newbies. Check it out @ http://ghj.sunsite.dk !