Re: SVG themes in GNOME2.4

On 9 May 2003, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I personally think svg themes are pretty silly. I mean, they just take
> more time to render (leading to bad performance). In the end they all
> end up being pixmaps, just like the png themes. The svgs could as well
> be pre-rendered.
>
> What more is that people doing svg themes seem to have noticed that
> vector formats don't render well at different small sizes, so you often
> have to do several svg versions for different sizes. So you don't even
> get the benefit of only having to do one size of each icon.

Well, ideally the svg engine people would take a hint from say Truetype
fonts and just add the capability of having certain small / common sizes
be pre-rendered as pixmaps. Other than that, svg engine is to me roughly
in the same class as an engine that called java to have swing paint the
widgets or did the same with ghostscript so you can have Postsript
themes...

> I just don't see the point. Maybe I'm missing something.

I've always assumed it started as a joke 'hey, see we can extend the svg
icons wother so all you get all of your display rendered from svg',
possibly at the urging of some of the people around who still think NEWS
was the best display system around...

>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc
>                    alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
> He's a sword-wielding Amish gangster haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's a
> violent extravagent college professor who hides her beauty behind a pair of
> thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!

	Sander

	Humans love to categorize and organize things. We break up time into
	hours, days and years. Everything has to have a name, a history, an
	understanding of it's origins and must be indexed somewhere on Google.