Re: My (ongoing) analysis of the proposed modules - GnomeMeeting remarks

Hello,

I think I've some precisions to add to Jeff's arguments about
GnomeMeeting, at least interesting things for the debate.

I agree that VOIP is one of the big directions of the future, but
everybody knows that's what I think.

Now, about the issues :

- GnomeMeeting now depends on OpenH323 and PWLib. The good news is that
Equivalence worked a lot on GM integration with OpenH323 and PWLib
recently. One of the big progress is that their CVS versions are now
autoconf/automake based.

- In the near future, GnomeMeeting will depend on the successor of
OpenH323, code name OPAL. The new architecture of the library permits to
add new protocols to the stack. SIP and H.323 will be there by default,
nothing prevents to add IAX to the stack, I think that changes at the GM
level would not be enormous. However, I'm not sure what would be their
reaction because IAX is not a standard. That is something to discuss
with OPAL developers.

- OpenH323 relies on PWLib for portability, GnomeMeeting compiles and
runs on MacOSX, Linux, FreeBSD, and even Windows (but there are still
problems due to the fact that GnomeMeeting uses threads and that GTK for
Win32 doesn't seem to support it very well). The first version of
GnomeMeeting was also working under Solaris, but nobody tried it under
Solaris since then. In general, portability of OpenH323/PWLib code is
good.

- That doesn't bring something to the debate, but GnomeMeeting is IPv6
ready! :)

--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\	FOSDEM 2003:  http://www.fosdem.org