Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting

Le mer 07/05/2003 �7:16, Sean Middleditch a �it :
> On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 11:12, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > > Personally, I'd say a PIM solution is more important that just e-mail.
> > > Several different apps may want access to address books or whatnot - a
> > > solid framework for that which all apps can utilize seems more useful.
> > > Just like having a solid HTML rendering framework (GRE, gtkhtml,
> > > whatever) is more important than the browser itself (given the browser
> > > needs said framework).
> >
> > I totally agree. For me GNOME desktop releases should focus on shared
> > libraries instead of apps. I see lot of sense having Gecko, libXML or
> > Gstreamer in GNOME releases but not to see Totem, Epiphany, Evolution or
> > Abiword in it.
>
> Well, not sure I agree there.  The _platform_ is where libs should be.
> I expect the Desktop to be, well, a desktop.  A library in the desktop
> is completely useless to a user (who wants apps).
>
> On the contrary, putting a library in the platform that no apps in the
> desktop use seems rather silly.

Hmm.. yes, in fact I was confused... of course desktop!=platform. What I
said is true for a platform. For a desktop, I think apps like a text
editor, a calculator, a web browser and an email client are welcome.