Re: Promoting greater integration between developers/writers/I18N:) [and testers!:)]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Ole Laursen wrote:

> With my translator goggles on, I must say I disagree strongly.
>
> At least for the Danish team, we know that there are a lot of typos
> and misunderstandings in the translations (because each time we survey
> them, we find quite a lot). The ordinary users are best equipped to
> find these bugs since they get to look at the strings a lot - and also
> sometimes have a much better specific domain knowledge.

I wouldn't know if an easy way to report translation errors will help
getting prople to actually do this, but you're certainly right. Dutch
GNOME translations are released into the wild without getting any sort of
end-user exposure. The GNOME developers who speak Dutch use the english
version most of the time, just because they're developers and it's far
more easy to communicate with other developers if you're using the same
language.

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778

Softwarepatenten bedreigen Europa. Teken op petition.eurolinux.org!