RE: GNOME Nirvana; How to reach it and what to do once we get there. (Addendum)

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 17:52, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > I meant a 3rd release set. So you have:
> >
> > Developer platform: Libraries
> > GNOME Desktop: Essentials (nautilus, panel, control-center and so on)
> > New release set: GNOME software; the characteristic of this release set
> > is just "very good software" and it can contain more than one app for
> > each task, so it could contain epiphany and galeon.
>
> > Then we don't bloat the "Desktop" with lots of bits of software from
> > everything.
>
> Hooray, you have defined both Fifth Toe, and the status quo. :-) The
> desktop is *not* meant to be 'bloated with everything' and Fifth Toe is
> *not* meant to be a staging area.
>
> I think the biggest issue brought up in this thread (and I'll reply
> properly to Iain when I can handle mail sanely again) is exactly how
> minimal a minimal desktop release should be. I think that, with the 2.3
> list, we're actually getting really close to the expectations of current
> desktop users. Others think that we're putting far too much in it, and
> should only solve the very basics of the desktop computing puzzle. On the
> whole, that's what I think this thread (and its initiator) is arguing. :-)

On reading it again, the fundamental problem with my idea is in trying
to keep the desktop release clean, it created another release set that
would probably bloat quite quickly.

Darn... :-)

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"We made GNOME-VFS support smb: and nfs: URIs. And we made OOo support
GNOME-VFS. Booyakasha!" -- nat