Re: Big Panel menus (32x32)

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 07:09:07PM -0400, Shaun ONeil wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 17:36, Shahms E. King wrote:
> > I even went looking for a gconf key to change them the other day to no
> > avail. Given that I don't think the feature is worth a preference, the
> > big menus offer more pros than cons, so I'm casting my vote for "yes"
>
> While I'd also say yes, I'd also prefer a gconf key somewhere. As
> witnessed by Windows' users' reactions to XP's new-style start menu -
> any changes to what's arguably the most often used function of the panel
> are bound to cause mixed opinions.
>
>  More practically, in 800x600, my Internet sub-menu fills two-thirds of
> the screen's height - It'd be nice for people using lower resolutions to
> still beable to use small menus.

Agreed.  It's been ages since I've used 1024 or below and at 1280x1024
XD2's menus look just about right (though the main programs menu is
still about 40% down my screen).

Of course, if/when the xrandr capplet gets put in and the gnome desktop
has a bit better control/recognition of the desktop resolution, the menu
size, as well as icon and panel size could be adjusted dynamically to
the "best" size for that resolution.

How about an option to scale the sizes dynamically based on the
resolution, or have it as a start up option

"would you like gnome to adjust icon and menu sizes to the
optimal setting for your screen resolution?  you can adjust these by
going into the menus and toolbars settings in your control panel"

I don't know if there is any thought of a first time gnome wizard
similar to the KDE one (was there something for 1.4?  I think there
might have been, but I could be wrong), but this would be something
that would go well in something like that.

Note to self: email GDD list to see if a first time wizard is
wanted/needed.

alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain