Re: Large slowdowns / networking related

Hi Joshua,

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 19:14, Joshua Eichorn wrote:
> strace: http://joshuaeichorn.com/gedit_strace.txt
>
> I would do the gdb stack trace too, but rpms in redhat9 have the debug
> data in a seperate rpm and i don't happen to know where those are.

	Thanks for doing this; I had a poke and it seems that it's
bonobo-activation doing a gethostname, and then a gethostbyname [ for
reasons I don't really fathom ]. I imagine this was something to do with
Elliot's distributed component vision, which was never quite finished in
that way - so, we can hack that out with no problems I think.

	If you want a quick fix for yourself just #if 0 out the section in
libbonobo/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-init.c
(bonobo_activation_hostname_get): such that we just do the 'gethostname'
and not the gethostbyname section :-)

	Thanks for helping track that down,

	Regards,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot