Re: Ottawa - kernel hackers ...
- From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com>
- To: Mike Hearn <mike theoretic com>
- Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Ottawa - kernel hackers ...
- Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:06:23 -0500
On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 14:37, Mike Hearn wrote:
> If it's truly the case that the kernel cannot realistically prevent
> fragmentation of large images in memory like this (and who knows what
> else), perhaps it's worth altering GNOME/GTK to use mmapping more
> extensively rather than loading the files into memory the traditional way.
For the desktop background case, you really need to look at the X
server. It keeps the uncompressed image in memory, already in pixmap
format. The question is how it keeps it. I wonder if mmap plus a
shared pixmap would be useful.
] [Thread Prev