Re: A Few Standard Folders [Re: Structure in $HOME]

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 10:52, Christian Meyer wrote:
> Hi Seth!
>
> I wouldn't translate those URIs at all. Apple does that with normal Folders and
> when you try to changedir in the Terminal you're lost, because all those
> Folders are in English.
> It took me some time to get aware of that. IMHO Apple did a very bad job there.

I agree that having that inconsistency is bad.... but just because we
haven't found an adequate solution doesn't mean there isn't a usability
problem. For example, going totally "outside the bounds of technical
constraints"... one could imagine a locale sensitive filesystem
(actually, this could probably be implemented without too much trouble
in Reiser4 using directory plugins).

Also, remember that most of the translators speak good (or at least
fairly good) English. Its not totally unreasonable to imagine deployment
situations where virtually nobody speaks English. At the very least I
think we should default to default "special folder" names based on the
system locale (so, e.g. if the system locale in set to Spanish instead
of English, user's "Documents" folder would default to "Documentos").

-Seth