Re: Major feature that is missing in gnome

Before this discussion began, I understood that there were two meanings of
"desktop" in use:

1. GNOME desktop: The sum of all parts of GNOME, the complete environment. For
example, "The GNOME desktop is an easy to use windows-based environment for
users."
2. desktop: The Nautilus definition - background + icons. For example, "Use
Nautilus to draw the desktop", "Use your home folder as the desktop".

Now we have a third meaning:

3. desktop: background + icons + panels. For example, the "Show Desktop" button.

And I was just coming around to having two definitions! Meaning 1 is
sufficiently conceptually different from 2 or 3, so I can live with that. But
meanings 2 and 3 are too close to each other to avoid ambiguity in the UI and
the documentation.

It will be interesting see responses to Calum's survey. I suspect that the key
issue will be whether users consider panels to be part of their desktop or not.