Re: Major feature that is missing in gnome

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Pat Costello wrote:

> > On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >
> > > <quote who="Alexander Larsson">

> > > It's more of a meta discussion about the word "desktop" and what it means.
> >
> > Yes, but the claim doesn't follow from the reasoning.
> >

> If I press a button which says "Show Something", then I have every expectation
> that what I am presented with is indeed "Something". If the Show Desktop Button
> were to be true to the Nautilus definition of "desktop", then the result of
> pressing Show Desktop would be background + icons. A button called "Show
> Desktop" which shows users background + icons + panels will train users into
> believing that that package is indeed the desktop.

So if the window list said "show window" instead of "unminimize" you would
believe that the panel and the desktop (and everything else visible after
the window is drawn) are part of the window? (as they were presented after
you clicked "show window".)

The panel was visible before you pressed "show desktop" (in a typical
configuration that doesn't allow windows to overlap the panel). What makes
you think it was presented by the "show desktop" action?

In my opinion "Show Something" really means "make Something appear on the
screen, but don't remove everything that isn't Something that was already
on the screen".

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an obese crooked matador from the Mississippi delta. She's a vivacious
wisecracking femme fatale with only herself to blame. They fight crime!