Re: Major feature that is missing in gnome

> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> > <quote who="Alexander Larsson">
> >
> > > I don't understand this discussion at all. "Show desktop" removes the
> > > application windows (which normally don't cover the panel) so that you can
> > > see the desktop. After you have done this you can see the desktop
> > > (background + icons). You can also see the panel (like you could before
> > > you minimized the windows). How does this make the panel part of the
> > > desktop?
> >
> > It's more of a meta discussion about the word "desktop" and what it means.
>
> Yes, but the claim doesn't follow from the reasoning.

If I press a button which says "Show Something", then I have every expectation
that what I am presented with is indeed "Something". If the Show Desktop Button
were to be true to the Nautilus definition of "desktop", then the result of
pressing Show Desktop would be background + icons. A button called "Show
Desktop" which shows users background + icons + panels will train users into
believing that that package is indeed the desktop.

Pat