Re: Plurals and ngettext

Havoc Pennington wrote:
On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 04:30:50PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:

Noone has given any objections yet -- rather the opposite, as people
have confirmed that this is supported by the OpenI18N standard and
compliant platforms. That still leaves the issue of older systems, but
then people that are worried about portability problems should come
forward. That's basically the reason I asked this on desktop-devel to
begin with, to get possible objections on the portability issue. So far
there has been none.

Openi18n is a brand new standard, it doesn't yet have any real-world
portability meaning.  Portability isn't a "any objections?" topic,
it's just a given that stuff must be portable. Right now you can AFAIK
build GLib with system gettext instead of GNU gettext. If you can only
do that on Solaris then Kenneth says we're fine since Solaris has
ngettext, at least recent Solaris. But I don't *know* that we
currently rely on GNU gettext on all other platforms. Do you know that
for sure?  If not, we should ask Owen or someone else who probably
knows. If we're increasing the set of people who must use GNU gettext
we need to be sure we understand the impact of that.

The picture differs - you can build gtk+ on systems that don't have GNU gettext, or a system gettext that has been extended to cover the same API but you won't get far when building gnome. It would be interesting to know how many people actually do use gtk+ without gnu or solaris gettext.

Havoc