Re: Panel's GConf usage

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 08:39, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:12:57AM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> >
> > 	Can someone remind me quickly why we are using Gconf to store highly
> > structured, dynamic, non-schema-able data ? I was under the impression
> > that using a simple XML / text file was the recommended method for such
> > things ?
> >
> > 	What real advantages does using Gconf give here ? I can see that it's
> > excellent for static groups of simple settings but ...
>
> I don't see why gconf doesn't work for the panel. The directory
> structure gives it fine structure, it is not that dynamic (no more so
> than any other preference), and it can be schema-ed just fine.

I've been having specific problems with this.  When you change the
schema out from underneath a panel installation that has some custom
changes, things just get weird.

Unfortunately, the work around is easy, so I've been too busy with other
things to diagnose what exactly is going wrong.  However, when you
change the schema after having run the panel before, you get neither the
original panel, nor the new panel, but mostly weird black panels with no
applets.

When I have some free time I will investigate the details, but I would
much prefer, for the future, if the panel set up were stored in an xml
file.

Thanks,
   Chris