Re: Toplevel keybindings

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 02:06, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 04:46:58PM +1300, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > 	Yeah, I know - I don't expect the way its currently done to be the way
> > we do it in the end, it was just a way of giving the thing a go. I only
> > really see a few possible solutions:
> >
> > 	1) As you suggest, we move some of these keybindings configuration to a
> > more central place and any window manager can pick up on that.
> >
> > 	2) We come up with a ClientMessage protocol for the panel so that
> > window managers who already have keybindings for these types of things
> > could bind these keys and drive the panel with the protocol.
> >
> > 	3) Give up, and say "If any window manager wants to work with this,
> > someone needs to send me a patch that will detect that that WM is
> > running and figure out the keybindings for that WM".
> >
> > 	I think (1) is the best plan. (2) just adds unneccessary complexity
> > IMHO, it places the burden of interpreting what the equivalent panel
> > operation for a given keybinding is and I doubt we could come up with a
> > spec that would give use GNOME/KDE interop. (3) is what we have at the
> > moment - not just in the panel, but in the keybindings capplet - and
> > isn't a good idea for obvious reasons.
>
> I would prefer simply having separate gconf keys for panel and
> metacity here, though they may happen to default to the same values.
> I'm generally uncomfortable with making metacity read /desktop/gnome
> keys (and if I'm uncomfortable with metacity doing that, imagine all
> the WMs that don't even link to gconf).
>
> btw, while discussing keybindings; can we move the screenshot and run
> dialog bindings to metacity please? There's at least one bug open
> caused by not having all global bindings in one place, and those are
> the last two not in metacity. The way global bindings work in X, we
> simply need a single app to do them all.
>
> Screenshot is trivial to just drop in as one of metacity's run_command
> bindings, though this regresses the Keyboard Shortcuts control panel,
> it could be un-regressed by adding a commands tab to that control
> panel perhaps.
>
> "open run dialog" can either have an executable that invokes it, or a
> simple client message hack.

When talking to Johnathan and Jody, we agreed that I would move the
acme/keybindings stuff to the gnome-settings-daemon. That could be one
way of solving the problem (just another key as far as this code would
be concerned).

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault